DETAILS
 
Name East End Park
Years Active 1891
Tenants Cincinnati Reds IV (Kelly's Killers)
Seating Capacity 5,000
Other Names Used Association Park
Contractor Al Marcus
Architect (?) Soter
Construction Cost $12,000
Location Ridgley Street (W)
Humbert Street (s)
Babb Alley (N)
Watson Street (E)
What Is There Now Paul Kramer Field
  C.L. Harrison Field
 
 
None
 
 
 
The East End Reds' ballpark was located within Pendleton Park, off of Eastern Avenue (modern day Riverside Drive) in the East End. It would be the first and last attempt to have major league ball in this part of town.

The location of the park was not easily accessible and prior to its construction the Reds' ownership explored building the ballpark in Covington Kentucky by the Licking River or in Oakley Ohio but both sites were eventually scrapped and the Reds settled for the romantic setting of Pendleton Grounds. With the rolling hills of Kentucky visible in the background and steamboats chugging up and down the Ohio River, Pendleton Grounds was a lovely riverboat atmosphere that was so popular during its time.

The ballpark was built in the northwest corner of the East End Grounds, running 461 feet along Ridgley street and 543 feet parallel with modern day Babb Alley. The northwest location was favorable because during the afternoon, the sun would not be obstructive to spectators and the players. The grandstand were octagon in shape and faced southeast, in the direction of the Ohio River & Dayton Kentucky. The grandstand were located about 70 feet from the baseball diamond and had a seating capacity of about 1,000 spectators. 270 of those seats were handsome settees purchased from James L. Raven & Co. Each section was about 16 feet wide and had 13 tiers of seats. The ballpark also had a pavilion with adjoining bleachers.

The problem with East End Park was its location. Streetcars pulled by mules were used but they were very slow and crowded. Spectators coming from the city either had to catch a fifteen to twenty-five minute train ride on the Pennsylvania from Broadway Street and Court Street. Or pick up a train ride on the Pennsylvania at the Front Street connection track just west of the Suspension Bridge at the foot of Vine Street. A connection track was a wooden viaduct for trains between the riverfront and riverfront buildings. Front Street is where modern day Mehring Way is located and the foot of Vine Street is now called Stadium Drive. The Pennsylvania would drop passengers off just north of the ballparks main entrance.

Another means for fans to get to the park was by way of the Ohio River. Coming from the city, fans could take a steamboat ride. Game time was always at 3:00 PM, so on game day the Coney Island steamers, Missouri and Guilding Star picked up passengers at 2:30 PM from the foot of Sycamore Street. East End Park was one of a few major league ballparks in the USA where fans could attend games in this manner.

Despite transportation being readily available and the fantastic scenery that surrounded East End Park, the remote location still proved to be inconvenient. Midway through the 1891 baseball season, Reds ownership began to explore new locations for their club on the west side of Cincinnati. It was all for naught. This Reds team never made it to the 1892 season, playing it's final game on August 18th against St. Louis.

After the east-side Reds' vacated the park, East End Park never hosted another major league club again. However, the current Cincinnati Reds team explored relocating to the park for the 1900 baseball season when a fire erupted at League Park on May 28th, destroying the main grandstand, part of the pavilion and the teams clubhouse. Instead the Reds decided to play a handful of home games on the road while some adjustments to their ballpark were made to finish out the season.


C.L. Harrison Field & Paul Kramer Field, in the Schmidt Recreation Complex Center is located where the ballpark once stood. C.L. Harrison Field is located where the grandstand & baseball diamond once were located, and Paul Kramer Field is the site where the outfield once sat.

19th Century Cincinnati Base Ball  •  Society For Cincinnati Sports Research  •  Contact Us
© 2011 - 2013